Re: Disk Images labeling

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Christoph Baumann wrote:

> On Friday evening I installed Potato on a laptop (well the type of the
> machine doesn't matter here). I used the official disk images for that.
> What annoyed me a bit is that binary-1 and binary-1_NON_US have the same
> .disk/info file which leads apt to assume that they are the same and

Apt does not use the .disk/info to keep them apart internally, but uses
something like ls -lR | md5sum. However it does use .disk/info for prompting
you to insert some CD, which means you can't tell exactly which CD apt wants.

> complains that it can't find ssh on the binary-1 CDROM. As I knew about
> the non-us thing I put the non-us CD in the drive and hit return again and
> it worked, but a user not so familiar may be very confused.

Very unlikely, since no single user is supposed to have both the 1 and 1_NONUS
CDs.

> Is there any reason not to distinguish the .disk/info files between
> binary-1 and binary-1_NON-US ?

Yes, because that's the only way dselect's "multi-cd" access method can be
made to work with either 1 or 1_NONUS and still the same 2 and 3 CDs. If we
would have used a different .disk/info, it would have meant having also a
separate 2 / 2_NONUS and 3 / 3_NONUS, which would increase the total number of
CD images from 28 to 42.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer