Re: ITP: OpenAL

On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 03:37:28PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Dan Helfman wrote:
> > Given a 3D coordinate for a listener, and a 3D coordinate for a
> > sound-emitting object, and a velocity for that object, generate an
> > appropriate stereo (or quadraphonic) sound, accounting for doppler shift
> > and other fun stuff. I don't know of any other library in Debian that does
> > this sort of thing currently.
>
> Neato! I tried some of this myself once but got stuck on not having a
> good model of the human head which is kind of essential. How does it
> output its sound? It would be ultra-cool if you could hook it up to two
> soundcards and do quadrophonic sound.

Plenty of soundcards these days have more than 2 channels of output.

In fact, some high-end models even have 5.1 channel output (and, I presume,
Dolby Digital and/or DTS decoders on board).

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    You can have my PGP passphrase when you
Debian GNU/Linux                |    pry it from my cold, dead brain.