Re: wnpp: ITP: msttcorefonts -- installer package for MS TrueType core fonts for Web

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 08:25:53PM -0500, sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu wrote:
> >  > miniunz or unzip can unpack the .exe files, they're zip SFX.  That'd let
> >  > you install all 11 fonts, as I have done.
> >
> >  There are two sets of files, one is tagged for Windows 9x, NT and 2k,
> >  the other for Mac.  Some months ago there was a third one, for Windows
> >  3.x.  The fonts *were* different.  The Windows packages are not SFXs
> >  but installers.
>
> Marcelo is correct, with the exception that the Windows 3.x files are still
> available.  However, "windows 3.1" versions are no longer being maintained.
> MS only keeps a few old copies of these files around.  They are older versions
> of these fonts the new fonts aren't available in this format.  I wouldn't be
> surprised to see them removed completely in the near future.
>
> The W9x files won't unpack with unzip.
>
> ale% unzip times32.exe
> Archive:  times32.exe
>   End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
>   a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
>   latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
>   the last disk(s) of this archive.
> unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of times32.exe or
>         times32.exe.zip, and cannot find times32.exe.ZIP, period.
>
> The Mac versions seem to be the only way to get the latest versions of the
> files, and the *only* way for some fonts.
>
> Joseph, if you can tell me how you installed, for example, Times New Roman,
> I'd appreciate it.  I don't know of any way to do this without going through
> windows or a mac.  I don't want to require Wine just for installing fonts.

Hmm, I remember either just using the zipsfx or copying them from a
windoze partition since I do have the license like it or not.  Of course,
since they cannot be distributed, I can't just send you a tarball to use.

* Knghtbrd pelts wichert with NERF darts
* wichert notes there are no ICBM nerfs yet and ignores kngtbrd
<Knghtbrd> wichert - just wait, after seeing the NERF gatling guns, ICBMs
           are not far off (just pump the damned thing for an hour or two
           is all...)