Re: RFC: provides: java-servlet-engine

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, Seth Arnold wrote:

> * Nic Ferrier <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk> [001216 09:59]:
> > >So, in the control file i'd like to be able to specify "requires:
> > >java-servlet-engine" and let apt get on with it, rather than
> > >saying "requires: apache-jserv|tomcat" etc.
> >
> > There are now quite a few servlet dependant tools out there. I would
> > like to see this done as well, for 2 reasons:
>
> If I am not mistaken to precedence, the use precedes policy. Email the
> maintainers, and ask them to include the Provides: line. :)

You are mistaken.
/usr/share/doc/debian-policy/virtual-package-names-list.text.gz says:

<-- snip -->

Packages MUST NOT use virtual package names (except privately, amongst
a cooperating group of packages) unless they have been agreed upon and
appear in this list.

The procedure for updating the list is as follows:

1. Post to debian-devel saying what names you intend to use or what
   other changes you wish to make, and file a wish list bug against the
   package debian-policy.

2. Wait a few days for comment (some of the comments may be on the
   debian-policy list, if you are not subscribed, ask for mail to be CC'd
   to you).

3. Mail the maintainer of the virtual package name list (which is the
   Debian Policy list <debian-policy@lists.debian.org>) notifying them
   of the consensus reached (or your suggestions if noone objected).
   Please update the bug report at the same time (retitling the bug to
   [ACCEPTED] ....

   Please include a proposed brief description of the new virtual name(s)
   for the list.  The list maintainer will then post the new list to
   debian-devel and upload it to the FTP site.

4. Go and use the new or changed names.

<-- snip -->

cu,
Adrian