Re: whatis/man problems

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 12:14:55AM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> In Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:47:30 +0100 (CET) Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn <cristian.ionescu-idbohrn@axis.com> cum veritate scripsit :
>
> > man: warning: /usr/share/man/man1/gtk-gnutella.1x.gz: whatis parse for
> > gtk-gnutella(1x) failed
> > `.so' request
> > man: warning: /usr/share/man/man1/gtk_gnutella.1.gz: whatis parse for
> > gtk_gnutella(1) failed
> > man: warning: /usr/share/man/man8/pchar.8.gz: whatis parse for pchar(8)
> > failed
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> There was a similar thread somewhere in mentors or around there.
> The general answer seemed to be to do :
>
> man 7 man
>
> and read how the file should really be formatted like.

This seems to be a common problem, both with upstream man pages (as is the case
with pchar) and maintainer-written ones.  I think it deserves a lintian check.
There is already a wishlist bug open about this, #52524

Even if the pages aren't run through man or whatis to check correctness, just
looking for a line ".SH NAME" would be sufficient to catch this case.

--
 - mdz (uploading a fixed pchar package)