Re: Latest Mandrake

from the secret journal of Toni Mueller (deb-l@tonimueller.org):
> what's "net sharing"?

nat.

> DHCP I find mediocre of not _much_ value (at least it lacks some
> nice features compared to bootp and in the implementation that
> shipped with potato).

since when is bootp superior to dhcp?

> > would probably not be able to do it by themselves. They would need
> > a horrible "linux system administrator" guy who would configure the
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That would be me...
>     What's your profession?

he's speaking from the point of view of someone who isn't firmly seated in
linux yet, and needs help from the busy guy who runs his company network
(someone like me).

> Umm, you don't sometimes touch a "Wizard" as of M$-speak? They also
> take care of the user, or at least of the problem of stopping the
> user to do something.

oh come on now. wizzards are perhaps the perfect solution for "i know what i
want to have done, not how to do it." don't discredit them because ms claims
invention.

> > My suggestion is this:
> >   * A group works out certain "scenario"s. Certain common tasks that
> >     a debian user should be able to perform easily.
> >   * Works them out in such a way that all relevant subsystems are enhanced
> >     to make that scenario happen.
>
> ... and yield complete(ly) unusable menus for every window manager on the
> system...

maybe i'm missing something, but how does this impact the menu system?

> > Example: _no_ kernel recompilation to have "net sharing". Whatever,
> > the specifics aren't important.
>
> If you by any means mean "doing NAT for shared Internet access", then you
> don't need to recompile a Debian kernel, too. Just (if you use 2.2.17)
> load the modules, set the appropriate rules, and off you go. Setting up
> basic DHCP should also be a matter of some 30 minutes at most.

last i checked dhcp didn't use debconf. not fatal though, since isc dhcpd
uses what i consider the most gracefull possible configuration file. it's
pretty easy to edit. but we could probably slim 20 minutes off this type of
installation by using debconf here.

--
Jacob Kuntz
underworld.net/~jake