Re: webmin, and: Re: Latest Mandrake

Toni Mueller wrote:
> I think end-user usability is better in many other Linux
> distributions.

That's something we should work on. We should establish something
like a "Human Interfaces Group" which could work on multiple
aspects of this problem.

> I do, however, value Debian for having a very
> good package management, a better "standard-conformity" w/o
> that tendency to really lock people in, and a sense of honestness
> and quality in general.

you mean the distribution. :) the organization itself isn't that
good. :)))

> It depends... When I'm on my OpenBSD boxen, I sometimes think
> "Oh well, this sucks compared to Debian, drop it", and when I'm
> on my Debian boxen, I sometimes think "Ok, let's drop Debian and
> have OpenBSD". It really depends on what I just want to do at
> the moment, and on the mood of the day. Perhaps that is because
> most computers suck in more than one way, no matter what software
> is loaded, but then you probably can't have everything.

Yep. Sometimes on Windows I think "The web browser works better,
there're games and all that. If I weren't a coder, I would surely
run this...."

> Apart from that I think that these two are probably those I'll
> stay with for a few years to come. Debian has a high idealistic
> value for me which could essentially only be surmounted by
> taking away every X, emacs, latex, ... and leave me with
> csh, joe and nroff on a vt52 ;) (That notwithstanding Debian
> could be improved).

Debian is good in that it is "extensive". It's big. It's got a lot
of stuff. And technically strong, consistent and stable..

> Btw, what do you think about webmin compared to linuxconf?
>
> I actually don't know linuxconf but think of packaging webmin...

I've had first hand experience with only cfengine. I've used the
linuxconf client but I don't know the status in debian. I haven't
looked into webmin.

IMHO, any good configuration utility that has a reasonable graphical
UI is okay.

Thanks,

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural