Re: orphaning fetchmail

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 09:30:07PM +0100, Toni Mueller wrote:
> dumb question perhaps, but would it make sense to have a client
> equivalent to stunnel and spare the effort of hacking SSL support into
> every individual client? Or is there already a stunnel-client I just
> don't know about?

if i understand what you are asking, then /usr/bin/openssl can do what you
want.

e.g. some of my users use it to make ssl-encrypted uucp connections to
an stunnel-wrapped uucico daemon on my server.

the client's /etc/uucp/ports file would look something like:

	port sslTAZ
	type pipe
	command /usr/bin/openssl s_client -connect taz.net.au:540 -quiet

for slightly more information, see my extremely brief mini-HOWTO at
http://taz.net.au/postfix/uucp/

this is great for travellers with linux laptops - dial in to any ISP
anywhere in the world and send/receive your mail securely. read and
reply off-line at your leisure rather than in a crappy, crowded internet
cafe running MS Windows.

telnet-ssl can also be used to connect to arbitrary stunnel-wrapped ports.

the same thing should be possible with fetchmail if it can do a scripted
login (i dunno, i've never used fetchmail), just call openssl to connect
to an imaps or pop3s daemon.

craig

--
craig sanders