Re: firmware or software? was Re: ITP plex86, if it complies to DFSG

I believe there's more to this.

Imagine this: I'll put together a pc pci card, with some micro on it .. it
will not work without pc. But I'll take linux kernel as base for the
embedded soft which will power that card.

Will I violate GPL if I'll ship the card without sources to this firmware?

Or, (more complicated situation), I have an commercial RTOS, but want just
some functionality, say zmodem, or md5, from GPLed code. How about
distributing such card?

I have read the GPL several times over, but didn't find answers. I'm
wondering how embedded debian people deal with this.

--
jozef  :-)