Preliminary python2 packages for Debian woody
I completed a set of preliminary packages of python2 for Debian woody. A big
warning: They are nearly completely untested, and they aren't yet suitable
for release. Please provide me with feedback so that the final packages will
be more stable.
Your friendly apt line for the python2 packages:
deb http://people.debian.org/~flight/python2 ./
- The packages are called python2-base, python2-dev etc.pp.
- They won't replace the existing python packages (Python 1.5.2), they can
be installed alongside each other.
- The new packages won't satisfy any dependencies of existing packages that
depend on Python. This is intentional. (I beg the maintainers of those
packages to make that the license is compatible with the new Python
license, i.e. no GPL code is used, or they have the explicit permission of
the author of the GPL code).
- Readline support, python-gdbm and python-mpz have been removed, since they
involve GPL code owned by the FSF.
- The SSL module will be packaged separately, since it has to go into
Please report any problems or suggestions to me.
Gregor Hoffleit Media Supervision Software Consulting GmbH
email@example.com Georg-Friedrich-Händel-Str. 13
www.mediasupervision.de 69214 Eppelheim / HD
www.fitforweb.de +49 (0) 6221-769723 Fax: -769705