Re: Debian New Maintainer Status on nm.debian.org

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 06:48:51PM +0100, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> If one applicant has waitet 185 Days for his approval, how should that
> number ever get erased from the list? The 185 Days can't become
> shorter therefore the number should never drop.
>
> If people who are approved are deleted from the calculation, then that
> should be called "oldest waiting" or something better. Also the
> average should be over all appications within a reasonable time (one
> year?) just to make the figure meaningfull.

I assume these numbers help two groups of people:

First, the NM team wants to know "how are we doing?"  Watching that "avg
wait" number fall is going to be a good indicator of how the process has
improved and applicants are having to wait less time to get through.
Historical numbers only give a gloomier picture of progress, answering
only "how badly did we do in the past?".  Numbers for who is on the queue
at the moment tell them how they are doing *now*.

Similarly, the applicant wants to know "how long can I expect to wait?"
The "avg wait" number tells the applicant how they're doing relative to
other people on the queue.  Historical numbers are not relevant because
the process is continuously improving (in theory :)

Now, you may feel that the NM team needs to do some sort of pennance,
hanging the albatross of their "worst case" numbers around their neck.
But I believe they deserve to see what kind of progress they are making
with the applicants that they have left on the queue.

Ben