allocating user 'fcron' and doubts about handling package-created users

Hello,

As policy mandates, I'm making public my intention to allocate user fcron
for the fcron package (the user will be created dynamically). Any
objections?

Also, policy mentions nothing about the removal of such a package-added user
in postrm. Some packages do remove the user (bsd-ftpd), others don't
(postfix). Is there any reason not to remove the user on package purge?

I've also noticed that if I were to be my usual paranoic self, I'd have to
add a check in preinst that makes sure no user fcron is present in the
system (or that, if it is present, its userid is in the --system range for
adduser)...  somehow I don't think this is done by every packages that needs
to create system users :(

This is a possible security hole (although not much of one). All the
packages I looked at (which were not that many) will not fail if the user is
already in the system (which is ok). However, they will not test if the user
is already there because of useradd --system (i.e. the user is in the
--system uid ranges) or because it is a common user.

Fixing the hole would be best done by a patch to adduser so that it returns
status 0 if adduser --system would fail because the user is already in the
system *and* that user is in the valid uid range for --system. It would also
require all packages using adduser to stop doing adduser || true or avoiding
calling adduser if the user is already in the system... which also means a
policy patch to policy section 4.9.

Is it more work than its worth, or should I be posting a policy proposal to
-policy ?

  Henrique Holschuh