Re: netsacape running wild

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Michael Meskes wrote:

> I just left my machine with some open navigator 4.76 windows. When I came
> back 3 hours later the machine was swapping like crazy. I checked what was
> going on and found that netscape with four open windows took 120MB memory
> which seems ridiculous high.
>
> Anyone else experiencing the same?

I run netscape with these features switched off:

  java (applets, plugin)
  javascript(including mail and news)
  style sheets
  cookies

and I have no problems what so ever :).

I also run it through the junkbuster proxy.

In my case netscape steals "only" 25Mb memory :) Set the disk cache to
nil and you'll also speed it up.

At work, the other guys around me are also complaining all the time
about how bad behaving netscape is.

Another good thing about running netscape like this is that you don't
have to see all that junk. The bad thing (if one considers that bad, I
don't) might be that you don't get access to some of the "features"
exposed by some web servers. I don't care about that comercial crap
anyway.

The funny thing about it is that it reveals how suboptimally educated
many web page "artists" are.

Take a look at this page, with all the features I mentioned above
switched off, and you'll see what I mean. Then examine the html source,
if you want to have a good laugh:

  http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/

You wait 1/2 hour for that page to download and then face that amaizing
amount of information :)

I wrote an ironic letter to the webmaster and she (yes, the webmaster is
accidentally a woman, Veronica Almström is her name) answered with a
"love" letter :)

As they say: "Love has it's misterious ways".

Cheers,
Cristian

--
Be careful, life will kill you.