[RFC] Extending required debian/rules targets? (Re: problem building ratpoison)

    Cristian> [...] and the same applies if you manually run
    Cristian> 'debian/rules distclean' prior to 'debian/rules binary'.

    Martin> Nothing besides you runs debian/rules distclean.

    Martin> The required targets are clean, build and binary. Anything
    Martin> else is just your private thing. No autobuilder,
    Martin> dpkg-buildpackage etc. will use anything beyond the three
    Martin> above mentions targets.

 I think there ought to be a separate `config' target too.

    Martin> It would be better, if you made the source and debian diff
    Martin> available, so we can have a better look.

 When I `apt-get source killer-app', I often do so in order to explore
 the code, not just to rebuild it.  I want to be able to run
 "debian/rules config", to get it configured the way it will be if
 built, but without actually building it yet.  (Next I will use it's
 generated Makefile to run a `make TAGS', or to build the
 documentation forgotten by the Debian maintainer in haste of getting
 the package done by the end of the weekend.)

--
mailto: Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@debian.org>
http://people.debian.org/~karlheg/