Re: libgdk-pixbuf 0.9.0: 0.2 vs helix5

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 01:52:47PM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> How to resolve the following:
>
> I'm trying to install nautilus, which depends on libgdk-pixbuf-gnome2
> (>=0.9.0-0.2), which depends on libgdk-pixbuf2 (= 0.9.0-0.2).
> The problem is that I have 0.9.0-helix5 installed. Uninstalling
> libgdk-pixbuf would remove a lot of packages.
>
> Can I force install of v0.2? How?
> Will anything break if doing so?
> Maybe a debian updated version should solve this problem?
<SNIP>

Not positive how this will work for this particular package, but a
summary of how I switched from all HELIX gnome to Woody gnome when
Woody was updated a few months ago.

Use something like
remove spidermonkey.*.* from /etc/apt/sources.list
do apt-get update and/or dselect update
grep-status -F Version Helix -s Package,Status
Note the installed Helix packages for next step

Use wget and/or ftp and/or packages.debian.org to locate and download
the Woody packages to replace the Helix ones.

Then use dpkg -i {Woody gnome pkg}.deb
if necessary to force a change use --force-depends and/or overwrite.

Sort of ugly, but WFM without having to remove 40 or so packages.

Gordon Sadler