I've got a new job; will move to nicer quarters shortly. (Was: I'm not quitting that easy.)

    Hamish> You don't have to put my key in the ring if you don't want to.
    Hamish> Wait Karl, Karl, Karl. Your new key would have been accepted if
    Hamish> you simply got it signed the proper way. Instead, you proposed
    Hamish> lots of insecure haphazard schemes to prove who you were to get
    Hamish> your key signed the wrong way. No one signed it, so your key is
    Hamish> not on the ring.

    Nicolás> Is it being signed a prerequisite for a key to be in the
    Nicolás> ring? That can't be true...

 I don't think so...  we should review the procedure on the web sites
 again.  There is much to read about this sort of thing, and I must
 take some time to study the topic a little.  I hope there is a good
 list of pointers on the Debian site leading to some reading material.

 The main thing is to verify my identity.  The few Debian people I've
 met should be able to itentify the man in the photo sitting in my
 directory on people.debian.org.  From there we have to establish that
 I really am the man in that photo, whom they have met.  For all you
 know, I'm some yeehaw with Karl Hegbloom's photograph, he's off ski
 bumming in Vail or someplace really neato, and I'm trying to get a
 way into Debian so I can sabotage it and yell "I told you so; Debian
 Sux!" all over my 2 page glossy AcNe LiNuS adrag-vertisements.

 For the most part, we could just leave our doors unlocked.  99% of
 people would not invade; they are courteous and would not enter
 without knocking and if they did, would not wreck the place or steal
 more than some food or clothing.  They'd use the toilet, not the
 floor.  But there are rogues.  We all know that.

 I think the best thing to do is just keep my key out of the ring
 until more of us have met one another.  I'll create a brand new key
 right before your very eyes, you can sign it, and off we go.  So,
 consider the key I've signed my Id with to be invalid... at our
 meeting.  I need to keep it around to prove this really has been me
 all along.  At that point, I will issue a revokation cert, and
 generate a new key for the keyring.

 I will *not* quit.  The GNU Manifesto is excellent.  So is our Social
 Contract.  This is right.  I will participate.

 On to the topic presented in the Subject line...

  I just landed a new job!  <applause> It'll be one of my first real
  computer related jobs.  I'll be doing admin and devel at MicroSharp.
  Evangelist of the Portland Linux User's Group is one of my bosses.

  I will try and see if I can convince them that a Debian solution
  will be the best one...  I hope I succeed in that.

  I'll save some money and plan to attend a conference of some kind
  where there will be Debian people to spend a little time with.  I'm
  especially looking forward to meeting James Troup and Branden
  Robinson.  Both of them have been a little rude to me in email, and
  I'm hoping that a face to face meeting will allow me to earn their
  respect.  Please be aware that I am *not* a violent person; they
  have nothing to fear.  I rarely raise my voice... and don't hold
  grudges for long.  It's like fighting with a sibling.  You just get
  over it and get along again.

 So, until we meet, I will be on "leave of absence" from package
 maintainership.  At some point, I will pick up a few packages or do
 some bug swatting or documentation work for us.

 Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@debian.org>