Re: cleaning up our task packages

On 07-Dec-00, 16:55 (CST), Brian Frederick Kimball <bfk@footbag.org>
wrote:
> The whole point is to let the user browse through a small collection
> of tasks instead of 6,000 poorly categorized package descriptions.

Then why are people designing techniques to 3 level deep trees of tasks
and talking about 100s of task packages?

There seem to be two needs:

1. The original concept of the task package, that Joey H is trying to
resurrect: "I wanna be a webserver", "I wanna do LaTeX".

2. A better package organization, allowing fairly high resolution in
selection of what is installed and what is not installed: "I wanna
webserver with Apache, Mysql interfaces, and ssl, but I don't want to
write my own Apache modules". This is a useful idea, but I don't think
task packages is the proper technique.

Steve
--
steveg@moregruel.net