Re: cleaning up our task packages

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Joey Hess wrote:

> Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> > Another thing that I think is important is that a task should actually
> > have the effect of installing a multitude of packages. If it doesn't,
> > you gain nothing over selecting packages by hand.
>
> No, you gain the ability to say "I want to do foo", and get everything you
> could ever want to do foo. If that only involves one or two packages, no
> problem.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!  If a task-* package only installs one package, it
sounds like the package description isn't being clear enough in the
package to be installed.  I would submit that the only useful task-*
package is one that installs 2+ packages--a task-* package that installs
only one package is a pretty good indicator of brokenness either in the
installed package or the suitability of the task (the one other thing it
may indicate is a transitive lack of packages to install--basically the
task got built before the packages implict got built, which is a
brokenness in and of itself, but one that will fix itself).

--
Pardon me, but you have obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a
damn.