Re: object-oriented C programming

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Jan Martin Mathiassen wrote:

> can someone tell me just what the fuck this bullshit is all about?

Religion?  :)

> it's really fucking simple. some people program in C. some people program in
> C++. heck, some people program in pascal, and like it.

That's very true, and certainly the proper tool should be used for the
job.  I don't see anyone here claiming that <insert favorite language
here> is good for all purposes.

> i started in pascal, and moved over to C++, and over time, i've tried my
> hands at pure C. gee. it almost looks like the same language, just with
> a slightly different syntax ... and? is it worth *all* this bullshit?

They are _not_ the same language, at least in the case of C++.  That's the
point of this discussion.  It started with a claim that one could do OO in
C, which is certainly true.  One can do it in assembler or machine code as
well (after all, what else does a C++ compiler do?).  The issue is why one
would _want_ to do this.  OO languages are specifically designed to
support OO programming.  Again, simply a matter of using the right tool
for the job.  There are a lot of misunderstandings about OO in the C
community (it's slow, etc.) that I believe should be corrected.

                                     -Dave

--

"Some little people have music in them, but Fats, he was all music,
 and you know how big he was."  --  James P. Johnson