Re: OpenMotif in Woody

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 02:01:00PM +0100, Bart Schuller wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 03:32:29AM -0600, Sam TH wrote:
> > Actually, OpenMotif is release under a DFSG-compliant license -
> > provided you run a Free operating system.  They plan to try to become
>
>  8.License Must Not Be Specific to Debian
>
>       The rights attached to the program must not depend on the
>       program's being part of a Debian system. If the program is
>       extracted from Debian and used or distributed without Debian but
>       otherwise within the terms of the program's license, all parties
>       to whom the program is redistributed should have the same rights
>       as those that are granted in conjunction with the Debian system.
>
> It can't be DFSG compliant if they have a "Free OS's only" clause.

That was my entire point.  If you run a Free OS, then it acts like a
DFSG compilant license (I think, it's based on the IBM Public License,
which is definitely DFSG free).  However, they are working to make it
really Free, or at least that's what their FAQ says.

	sam th
	sam@uchicago.edu
	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
	GnuPG Key: