Re: object-oriented C programming

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Philip Brown wrote:

> The most useful, innovative feature of all of the OOP movement, is proper
> object encapsulation.

Many, many would disagree with you.  Including myself.  Inheritence and
polymorphism is _critical_.

> [which is a large reason why C++ gets laughed at in die-hard OOP circles]

No, it gets laughed at because it's not the "perfect" language, types are
not first-class objects and it lacks the concept of messaging (though that
can be simulated rather well).  IMHO, thank goodness Bjarne didn't try to
make it perfect!

> The rest of it is mostly just to help programmers avoid retyping extra
> code. :-)

The rest of it is to encourage reuse.  To make that work often requires
more design and coding in the initial stages, including much refactoring
to get things right.  It's not a panacea, I agree, but I for one will
never go back to C if I don't have to.

                                      -Dave

--

"Some little people have music in them, but Fats, he was all music,
 and you know how big he was."  --  James P. Johnson