Re: xmms-vorbis install problems on woody

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 07:03:08PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 06:24:08PM +0100, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
> > Do you refer to this, in xmms (1.2.4-1)
> >   /usr/share/doc/xmms/changelog.Debian.gz
> >
> >   * Added libogg0-dev and libvorbis0-dev to Build-Depends: because of the
> >     new plugin. Added Conflicts: and Replaces: on xmms-vorbis, too.
> >
> > I might just gone stupid lately, but it is unclear to me what that
> > means. So I'll just go on being stupid and ask another stupid question:
> >
> > Did xmms-vorbis ceased to exist? That is, xmms-vorbis is no more?
> > xmms-vorbis is a former package? In thet case, why doesn't it say so?
>
> xmms-vorbis needs to be removed from the archive, that's all. I've already
> filed a bug report to get that done.

I think it would have been nice if "the new plugin" were specified.  Maybe:

  * New upstream input plugin: Ogg Vorbis.  Added libogg...

  or

  * The Ogg Vorbis input plugin has been merged into xmms upstream.  Added
    libogg...

this would make it clear what functionality had been added upstream, and why
the new xmms replaces xmms-vorbis.

> > My opinion is that the message:
> >
> >   "xmms-vorbis: Depends: xmms but it is not going to be installed"
> >
> > is plain stupid. I don't know what it might be meant to say, and I'm
> > trying very hard to understand it's meaning.
>
> It means "xmms-vorbis depends on xmms to get installed, but xmms won't get
> installed". The problem is that it doesn't tell you the reason for the
> latter.

It makes no sense to say that a package won't be installed because an
already-installed package "is not going to be installed".  How about
"xmms-vorbis: is obsoleted by xmms"?  This is still a bug in apt.

--
 - mdz