Re: xmms-vorbis install problems on woody

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Josip Rodin wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 04:50:33PM +0100, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
> > Is it only me? Does anybody else sees this weirdness?
>
> Why is this weird? One package obsoleted another. Try reading the latest
> changelog entry for xmms.

Obsoleted. Is that the meaning of this line?

  xmms-vorbis: Depends: xmms but it is not going to be installed

Do you refer to this, in xmms (1.2.4-1)
  /usr/share/doc/xmms/changelog.Debian.gz

  * Added libogg0-dev and libvorbis0-dev to Build-Depends: because of the
    new plugin. Added Conflicts: and Replaces: on xmms-vorbis, too.

I might just gone stupid lately, but it is unclear to me what that
means. So I'll just go on being stupid and ask another stupid question:

Did xmms-vorbis ceased to exist? That is, xmms-vorbis is no more?
xmms-vorbis is a former package? In thet case, why doesn't it say so?

If it still exists and conflicts with xmms, why doesn't it suggest
removing xmms, as installing xmms removed xmms-vorbis?

My opinion is that the message:

  "xmms-vorbis: Depends: xmms but it is not going to be installed"

is plain stupid. I don't know what it might be meant to say, and I'm
trying very hard to understand it's meaning.

"... but it is not going to be installed" What? xmms or xmms-vorbis?
xmms is already installed, so that leaves xmms-vorbis as the candidate
to not being installed. Note: I used the deductive part of my brain,
all by myself, to do this analysis 8).

Cheers,
Cristian

--