Re: common locale configuration

Hi,

At Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:20:57 +0100,
Arthur Korn <arthur@korn.ch> wrote:

> You should not try to reinvent the wheel and use debconf for
> this. You can use a shared variable space to store the data,
> reconfiguration can be triggered by dpkg-reconfigure, you get
> all the frontends that will ever exist for debconf for free plus
> you bother the user as little as possible with repetitive
> querying.

Debconf can be used only for 'global' settings.  It cannot be
used for settings for each user ('per-user' settings).

Why 'per-user' settings?
 - A machine can be shared by people speaking different languages.
 - 'Global' setting affects root user, too.  I think it is not a good
   idea for root user to have large amount of tricky configurations
   which are needed for 'exotic' languages such as Japanese.
   (Configurations for European language might be safe...)

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/
Under renewal: "Introduction to I18N"