Re: apt-get and The_User

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 10:37:41PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> I'm a little confused about your example; maybe I've misunderstood it,
> but I think you're incorrect.
>
> Any program which is chrooting into a jail must also make sure there
> are no open file descriptors to things that might let the user out;
> notably, if the system has an fchdir syscall.

yes but the chroot() syscall does none of these checks correct?  I am
simply stating why the chroot() call is privileged and only root may
use it.

a completely seperate issue is whether its possible to make a setuid
root program to allow users to chroot safely.  i am only arguing that
changing the kernel to allow any user to use chroot() would end up
making chroot() useless for security purposes.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/