Re: apt-get and The_User

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 08:39:29PM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:

> > In what way would chroot elevate privileges for a non-root user?
>
>   I'm not sure, but I think that there may be an issue with, eg:
>
> (a) ln /bin/some-'safe'-suid-program my-evil-chroot/bin
> (b) cp my-hacked-libc my-evil-chroot/lib
> (c) cp /bin/bash my-evil-chroot/bin
> (d) chroot my-evil-chroot some-'safe'-suid-program
> (e) the hacked libc causes some-'safe'-suid-program to make
>   my-evil-chroot/bin/bash suid root
> (f) my-evil-chroot/bin/bash my-evil-rootkit
>
>   (I don't really know what the issue is, but this would seem like a logical
>    concern to me)

that would probably work, but another reason is simply that if
chroot() is not privileged then any chrooted daemon/user could easily
break out of a chroot jail.

iirc this works by opening a directory, say /foo, where /foo is
really a chroot at /home/foo,  the user can then chroot to /foo/bar,
and use the open descriptor on /foo to break out of the chroot
entirely.

i think i got that partly wrong but thats the basic idea i read
somewhere.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/