Re: Bugs against withdrawn packages

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 12:08:38PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> What happens to bugs filed against packages withdrawn from the
> distribution? Do they remain there forever, as a symbol of the eternity
> of our Bug Tracking System (to quote Marcus Brinkmann in #740), or is it
> legitimate to close them after some long period of time? I realize they
> have to stay around for a while in case somebody decides to reintroduce
> the package, but there are some really ancient ones in there (#9359, for
> instance),

People sometimes revive even the oldest stuff, so it's been an unwritten
policy to keep all those bug reports open.

OTOH looking at #9359 I wouldn't object to closing it, because to test the
awe plugin with netscape 3.x you'd have to bring back netscape 3.x
packages... I doubt Netscape distributes/supports that version anymore?

> and a number of release-critical bugs (berolist has two, for
> example - of course, they'd need to be made Severity: serious if the
> package were reintroduced).

They aren't counted at the RCB list, so that doesn't matter.

On related note, the real problem with `Maintainer: (unknown)' packages in
the BTS is the miscategorized bugs, we have more and more stuff to clean up :/