RFC: debconf variable for generating .info files from texi

Hello

Was this discussed before? I hope not as it would be a nice feature:

I like to only distribute a .texi file in my packages and then let the
user decide, if he want's .html, .info or just plain .txt or all etc.

This decision should be made generally, I think and therefore I suggest
it to be made by either debconf or another package that is good for general
questions, maybe base-config.

Auto-generating the docs in postinst would be very easy and even automatised
workable and the necessary binaries to generate info, html and txt from
a texi source would enlarge debconf by approx. no more than 400k.

It would be easy to implement for debconf, too!

The drawback that we would not have all files "findable" by "dpkg -S" seems
acceptable to me as logfiles etc. don't show up there, too and thus this don't
decrease dpkg's usefullness. (as all would be in /usr/share/doc/<package>
it would be ovious either.

Comments?

bye,

 -christian-
--
Christian Hammers    WESTEND GmbH - Aachen und Dueren     Tel 0241/701333-0
ch@westend.com     Internet & Security for Professionals    Fax 0241/911879