Re: Questionable conffile handling in connection with debconf

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 12:51:37PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 06:30:44PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > As I understand
> > policy (see the excerpt at the end of this message), conffiles should never be
> > modified in maintainer scripts.  Configuration files should be distributed as
> > part of the package (either as conffiles or not), or else created and managed
> > by maintainer scripts, but not both.
>
> If a configuration is shipped as part of the package it *must* be declared
> as a conffile, otherwise the user's changes will be lost on upgrade. But
> otherwise, yes.

In theory, it could be possible for a package maintainer to create a default
configuration that would never need to be modified (for example, a program that
only needs to know the location of certain files or directories).  In cases
like these, it should be OK for these configuration files not to be conffiles.

> > Quoth the Policy [section 4.7.3]:
> > This implies that the default version
> > will be part of the package distribution, and must not be modified by the
>                                                 ^^^^^^^^
> > maintainer scripts during installation (or at any other time).
>
> Thus you should file a serverity: serious bug against these packages, and
> they need to be fixed before release.

Will do.  Unfortunately, I don't think lintian can be made smart enough to
catch this sort of behavior.  Maybe the debconf tutorial should mention
something about it?

--
 - mdz