no "big" routing-protocol packages ...

In a recent hands-on discussion with a collegue, I tried to grab
one of his favourite demons that does BGP handling, amoung other things.
it's called mrt. it's on source forge.....
but it is NOT a debian package.

I tried to compile it, but hit some odd bugs.
So then I said to myself, okay, try again with gated.... and found it is
not packaged either.

Unfortunately, while gated v3.6 is "free", it's not DFSG, and they might
not like it on the CDROM.

Gah.

ANyone either

a) got mrt happy with debian

b) know of a third alternative for someone to play with OSPF and BGP, that
we might package?

PS:

http://www.merit.edu/~gated/
  which leads to the "public" release at