lintian & libtool: are they friends now?

i missed a scoop which has been posted on this ml on 29 sep, it is
in a message of Marcus Brinkman:
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce-0009/msg00008.html

it says that libtool has corrected some problems that in past time it
gave to debian. my question is, is it talking about -rpath problem too?

i read lots of mail in the archive but i still don't really know what all
this talking is about, at the moment i'm not ready to learn it (sorry).

up on request by lintian (binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath) i applied the
patch to configure.in of my package and everything went ok and i nearly
forgot it.

on release 7.2.1-1 of curl (the package i talked about before) Anand Kumria
reported with bug #78232 that the patch i applied to curl's configure.in was
not necessary any more because the problem with libtool had been solved at
upstream level.

oh, wonderful... unpatch configure.in... compile... run lintian ... $%$#!#
again lintian say binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath. moreover the workaround
(that old workaround i used to patch configure.in) is not present in
/usr/share/doc/lintian any more (i'll file a bug against lintian).

i'm confused, what happened? -rpath doesn't bother us any more? it seem it
still does. well, why the workaround has been dropped? if my upstream use it
and doesn't want to dismiss it even if it is not mandatory any more i have to
apply the patch. of course i can find it in an old package of mine, but
it soundis weird.

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://filibusta.crema.unimi.it/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
  --[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936  4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50