Re: How can I remove PAM from my system?

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Eray Ozkural (exa) wrote:

> The problem turned out to be simple.
>
> The old nsswitch.conf file doesn't work, using compat for passwd group
> and shadow doesn't imply NIS use AFAICT. You have to write nis explicitly.
> This should've been working before of course, because it used to ;)
>
> So this isn't a pam or nis problem, it's a small glibc configuration
> problem.

So why "compat" used to work and it does no longer?

If I remember well, I had to put the "compat" word in nsswitch.conf
because I was told it would work for both people using NIS and people
not using NIS, so it was a good default for everybody.

Is there a new default to satisfy everybody with glibc-2.2, there
is not anymore, or is this a bug in glibc-2.2?