Re: kernel depends?

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 12:55:35PM +0100, Paul Slootman wrote:
> Now if you're talking about a kernel-source package, then please note
> that it in fact *does* depend on "binutils, bzip2, fileutils (>= 4.0)".
> That is all you need if you want to build your own kernel.

that's not quite all you need. you also need bin86 for the /usr/bin/as86
binary.

i've (re-)discovered this little annoyance several times on new systems
that i'm building. the first time it took me a while to figure out
what was missing and what package it was in (and i had the advantage
of having several other debian boxes and a local mirror to search the
Contents*gz file). now i just know and remember to install bin86 when i
get bitten by it.

> Wasn't that clear from the error message you get? Besides, I've never
> really contemplated the fact that I need bin86; I always happened to
> have it installed. You must have decided for yourself that you didn't
> need it? It is after all a "Priority: standard" package.

it doesn't get installed until after you've run dselect.

people building minimalist systems (i.e. single function servers) these
days don't need to run dselect, they just install the base system and
"apt-get install" the few packages that they need...IMO, that's a good
answer to the common *bsd complaint about linux dists that they're
bloated because by default they install all kinds of stuff you don't
need.

craig

--
craig sanders