Re: changing location of conffiles

Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> From: Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>
> Subject: Re: changing location of conffiles
> Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 16:17:39 -0800
>
> > In your preinst, if the new conffile does not exist, and the old one
> > does (you can throw in a version check too), move the old file to the
> > new location.
>
> But, at the stage of preinst (i.e. before expanding a package)
> the new location /etc/foo does not exist yet ...???

Well you'll have to make sure the directory exists. The good thing about
this method is dpkg then treats it just as if the conffile in the new
location has changed (if the user modified it), and can prompt the user
about whether they want to replace it with the new one, etc.

>     dpkg - warning: while removing foo, directory `/etc/foo' not
>     empty so not removed.
>     Purging configuration files for foo ...
>
> In a sence, this seems reasonable but we should remove /etc/foo.
> Of course we can do it in a postrm but the above message will be
> still displayed.  Isn't this a problem?

It's a dpkg bug, see the bug list.

--
see shy jo