Re: How can I remove PAM from my system?

> node01:~# getent shadow
> Unknown database: shadow
> Try `getent --help' or `getent --usage' for more information.

DESCRIPTION
       The getent program gathers entries from the specified
       administrative database using the specified search keys.
       Where database is one of passwd, group, hosts, services,
       protocols, or networks.

I think several people, including me, have explained that `shadow' is not
a valid database for getent. Note, getent does not use "maps", and as far
as glibc is concerned, the shadow file is part of the passwd database
(notice that using getpwnam() will retrieve the password field from the
shadow file, so long as it has permissions).

Ben