Re: How can I remove PAM from my system?

Herbert Xu wrote:

> Eray Ozkural exa <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> wrote:
> >
> > Here's what happens when I try to rlogin to the slave node:
> > node01:/usr/share/doc/rsh-server# tail /var/log/auth.log
> > Nov 27 20:23:27 node01 login[13856]: FAILED LOGIN (1) on `pts/2' from `borg' FOR `exa', Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info.
>
> Sounds like it can't find a line for exa in shadow.

Yeah, but it's more annoying than that.

I just changed the nsswitch entries from compat to nis and I can now
login.
exa@node01:~$ more /etc/nsswitch.conf
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         nis
group:          nis
shadow:         nis

ho...

But AFAIK compat should work, too. It used to work on our potato
system.

And again,

node01:~# getent shadow
Unknown database: shadow
Try `getent --help' or `getent --usage' for more information.

won't work. I mean as root I should be able to check whether glibc can
fetch shadow map ;) The ypcat shows me everything.

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural
e-mail: erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr