Re: Running MRTG as a non-root user - thoughts?

On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 08:36:18AM +0200, Michael-John Turner wrote:

> Anyone got any thoughts on this? I don't want to go through the whole
> process of switching to a non-root user if it isn't really necessary.

It is generally agreed that processes that needn't run with privileges should
not run with privileges.  This is particularly applicable to the superuser.  I
would say that MRTG should not run as root, as it doesn't perform any
operations that require superuser privilege.

--
 - mdz