Re: Use $DEB_BUILD_DIR rather than parent directory?

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 07:41:15PM -0500, Eric Gillespie, Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 00:03:05 +0000 (UTC),
> wichert@cistron.nl (Wichert Akkerman) said:
>

>     > absolutely refuse to modify dpkg in a way that it lets an
>     > environment variable override a commandline parameter.
>
> That seems rather arbitrary.

No, not at all.  It is good security practice.  The problem with
environment variables is that they can be hidden, and the user
completely unaware of what is set.  The command line option is
in plain view.  Clearly, the command line option ought to supercede.

In fact, I think a good case can be made for dpkg/apt not honoring
environment variables at all (maybe LD_LIBRARY_PATH is an exception).
YMMV.