Re: When do this occur?

[Moving to debian-mentors, where this should go.]

Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org> wrote:
>dpkg-gencontrol: error: source package has two conflicting values -
>xemacs21 and gtk-xemacs21
>dh_gencontrol: command returned error code
[...]
>When do dpkg-gencontrol say that there are conflicting values?

When you have two Source: lines in debian/control. You should never need
to do this; if you're creating multiple binary packages, have multiple
blocks beginning with Package: lines.

You aren't trying to make debian/control files look like entries in the
available or status file, are you? They look rather similar but have
different required and forbidden fields. The packaging manual has more
details.

>And now I have one more quiestion. Is it a good way to have Replaces:
>xemacs21 in the control file. I mean you should replace xemacs with
>gtk-xemacs if you have gnome installed. But if gnome is not installed
>does it try to install it then, or does it take the ordinary xemacs
>package instead.

It sounds like Replaces: is reasonable if you think gtk-xemacs21 should
take priority over xemacs21 (see section 8.5.2 of the packaging manual).
If GTK is not installed then gtk-xemacs21 can't possibly be, so the
question doesn't arise. In any event the user will most likely have to
explicitly select gtk-xemacs21 for installation.

I can't think of any way of encouraging GNOME users (as opposed to GTK
users) to use gtk-xemacs21, short of putting it into task packages,
which would be a pain for hardened vi users like myself.

By the way, is there any reason this package isn't called xemacs21-gtk?
The convention for GTK variants of packages seems to be *-gtk rather
than gtk-*, and xemacs21-gtk would have the added benefit for you of
sorting near xemacs21, so that users would be more likely to notice it.