Re: libnids0? -- libgd1?

On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 10:09:40AM +0100, Sander Smeenk (CistroN Medewerker) wrote:

> Maybe this is a newbie question and you all can flame me for that,
> but will someone please explain the 0 and the 1 in these packages:

There is no problem with this kind of question.  Just please ask it on a more
appropriate mailing list, like debian-user@lists.debian.org.

> libnids0, libgd1
>
> What do they stand for? Why does my (libgd1) package have a 1, and
> my friends (libnids0) package a 0 on the end of it's name?? :)

This number is the major version number of the library, which is part of its
"soname".  This version number is used in the package name because programs
compiled using a certain version of a library require the same major version in
order to run.  You can have more than one version of a library installed at
once, so the packages must have different names.

--
 - mdz