Re: UTF-8 locales

Tomohiro KUBOTA writes:
> I found glibc 2.2 supports GB18030.  It has
> /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/GB18030.gz as an definition of GB18030.
> (It is amazing that it covers not only ideograms but also various
> characters in the world, including Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Hebrew,
> Arab, Thai, Armenian, and so on.)

There was some discussion of problems with the glibc GB18030 mapping
tables on the Li18nux mailing lists a while back: if you cannot find
them in the archives, let me know and I'll dig them up. I don't know
if these problems were fixed, however.

By the way, I believe that China is requiring either GB18030 *or* ISO
10646-1:2000. See

    http://linuxfab.cx/indexNewsData.php?NEWSID=2949&FIRSTHIT=1

for details.

    -tree