Re: UTF-8 locales

Hi,

At Tue, 14 Nov 2000 03:56:07 +0900,
GOTO Masanori <gotom@debian.or.jp> wrote:

> I guess that original glibc documents write a "currently supported
> and somewhat tested locales", and Debian's glibc also follows it
> (see glibc's source code localedata/SUPPORTED).
> Only some UTF-8 locale are supported. Because UTF-8 is not well-tested
> or some entries are missing for UTF-8 unsupported locales.
> Please test and patch to localedata to be ready for UTF-8.
>
> If you want to run applications under UTF-8 environment,
> just make a UTF-8 locale using localedef (potato), or write an
> appropriate entry into /etc/locale.gen (woody).
> To make your favorite locale using localedef is easy.
>
> In future, we may all use UTF-8 locale, but currently we merely
> use UTF-8 locale. It's the big reason which UTF-8 are not needed now.

Ok, there may be few _users_ who use UTF-8 locale.  However, a
certain amount of _developers_ are interested in UTF-8 support _now_.
If UTF-8 locale is not available, I think that they tend to hard-code
UTF-8 encoding instead of using LOCALE.  IMHO, the hard-code of UTF-8
is evil because of the reasons which I wrote at the beginning of this
thread.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/