make-kpkg problems

Hi all,

I use potato with dpkg and debhelper from woody. When I try to compile
2.4.0-test11-pre7 after configuring it and doing a make-kpkg I get an
error saying that i386-none is not in remapping table and not found in
arch. So I have to specify --arch=i386. Doing this I get after a while
of compiling a make 1 error saying that i386-linux-gcc could not be
found. Doing an ln -s gcc i386-linux-gcc in /usr/bin I get i386-linux-ld
command not found again with error make 1.

So what is the proper way to do this, respectively, what am I doing
wrong.

And I apologize in advance if this is the wrong list.

Thanks in advance for your help.

With best regards

Michael Meding