Re: ITP: c++-faq-lite (was: Re: c/c++ documentation)

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 07:23:37PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> I suggest the C++ FAQ-Lite, mirrored all over the place.  Here is one URL:
>
> http://new-brunswick.net/workshop/c++/faq/
>
> In fact, it is so useful that I think it should be packaged.  It belongs next
> to stl-manual.  Consider this an ITP.

Cancel that.  Unfortunately, the specified Copying Permissions do not allow
free redistribution.  The author seems to be mostly concerned about outdated
and incorrect versions of the FAQ floating around, so I am reasonably sure that
he would grant Debian permission to redistribute based on the fact that the
maintainer would be responsible for keeping the version in the distribution
up-to-date.  Users would be able to make copies for their own use, but would
not be able to give copies away to others, and that seems wrong.

It wouldn't be hard to create an installer package to go into contrib (which
would download the FAQ from the website), but I don't know if this is useful
enough to warrant it.  Would anyone else use this package besides me?

[1.3] Copying Permissions

If all you want to do is quote a small portion of C++ FAQ Lite (such as one or
two FAQs) in a larger document, simply attribute the quoted portion with
something vaguely similar to, "From Marshall Cline's C++ FAQ Lite document,
http://www.cerfnet.com/~mpcline/c++-faq-lite/";.

If you want to make a copy of large portions and/or the entire C++ FAQ Lite
document for your own personal use, you may do so without restriction
(provided, of course, that you don't redistribute the document to others, or
allow others to copy the document).

If you want to redistribute large portions and/or the entire C++ FAQ Lite
document to others, whether or not for commercial use, you must get permission
from the author first (and that permission is normally granted; note however
that it's often easier for you to simply tell your recipients about the
one-click download option). In any event, all copies you make must retain
verbatim and display conspicuously all the following: all copyright notices,
the Author section, the Copyright Notice section, the No Warranty section, the
C++-FAQ-Lite != C++-FAQ-Book section, and the Copy Permissions section.  If you
want more and/or different privileges than are outlined here, please contact
me, cline@parashift.com. I'm a very reasonable man...

--
 - mdz