Re: soname

Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> writes:

> > 2) The fact that the SONAME won't have any discernable relation to the
> > filename won't matter, because ldconfig will make the right thing
> > happen.  Right?
>
> Yes.  Basically you should have three files for a shared library:
>
> 1. The actual file bearing the full version number.  This is not used by
>    anything but serves the purpose of allowing upgrades to happen smoothly.
> 2. A link whose name is the soname.  This is used by all programs linked
>    against the library.
> 3. A link called libwhatever.so where whatever is whatever you want people
>    to put after the -l.

I don't think you understood.  I don't want any files that match the
name of the soname, if that is stuck at "libpt_linux_x86_r.so.1".
That's a stupid name, and I think there is no good reason to use it if
it has to appear in the filesystem.

But that means that the understanding of behind my previous question
was incorrect.  I think what I'll do is hack the makefiles to generate
the library with sane names throughout.

Thomas