Re: standard location for makefile fragments?

> On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 11:14:34PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > pwlib, which I'm packaging as part of OpenH323, includes makefile
> > fragments users of pwlib are supposed to include in their makefiles.
> >
> > Is there a standard place in Debian to put such things?  Failing that,
> > where would people suggest?  /usr/include does seem wrong.
>
> The standard way to link to a library is with `-lpwlib', not to use
> makefile fragments... You could stick them in /usr/share/pwlib or
> so though.

Yeah.

I guess the quandry is this:

I would prefer to convert things so that the library works just as you
describe, that is, like a normal Unix library.

However, the library is intended for portability of applications;
those applications in theory include these standard fragments and then
work everywhere.

But I think I'll just take your implied advice and make it work like a
normal Unix library.

This means that standard applications using pwlib would possibly have
to change to use this version.  It seems pretty likely to me that the
only applications that will actually use the library are the other
parts of OpenH323, and so it's not a serious concern.