Re: Berkeley DB3 in incoming, BIG FAT WARNING!

On Sun, 11 Nov 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 10:12:03PM -0500, Richard A Nelson wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Ben Collins wrote:
> >
> > > A lot of things have been waiting for this. I am sending this as a HUGE
> > > warning. This was my scenario with moving openldap to db3, and I suspect
> > > it will apply for a lot of packages. Here is how the dep chain looked
> > > after I recompiled, for slapd:
> > >
> > > slapd --- libdb3
> > >         \ libsasl7 --- libdb2
> > >
> > > Note that libsasl7 was linked against libdb2, while slapd was linked
> > > directly with libdb3. This was very very bad and caused slapd to give a
> > > bus error. The only way I know around this is if you use dlopen to load
> > > the libraries, but I doubt that is an option. So I had to relink libsasl7
> > > against db3.
> >
> > [snip my rant]
>
> Uh, libnss-db will continue to use libdb2. You seem to misunderstand. Not
> everything needs to upgrade and use this, and libdb2 isn't going anywhere.

You're right, I'm dazed and confused ;-}

You did have to make sure that *both* slapd and libsasl use the *same*
libdb; I'll have to do likewise for sendmail.

Why wont libnss-db cause the same problem, it *is* used for host/service
lookups and did cause problems for me before (when glibc used one
version of libdb2, and the db2 packages used a different version).

--
Rick Nelson
Being overloaded is the sign of a true Debian maintainer.