Re: [RFC] Measuring skills of a Debian Developer

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Roland Rosenfeld wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
>
> >      With increasing number of Debian Developers, it is getting hard
> >      to measure skill of a DD in a particular area of interest. For
> >      example there are DD's that make phenomenally good Debian
> >      packages, others are professional designers, others are genius
> >      in HTML, others grock Perl.

[some aruments and technospeak deleted]

> BTW: IMHO we need some mechanism to find out which developers are
> inactive for a long time, while their packages have many open bugs
> (which means that someone should adopt these packages and fix the
> bugs), but as far as I know someone is already working on such a
> database (don't know whether it is already evaluated).

I can also see the want for a neutral method for determining the state of
a particular developer's skill in a given area relative to the skill
distribution across the set of all developers ordered by skill.
I think there exists an adjective which would cut the preceeding sentence
in half, but I cannot recall it. I'm also back on medication for
bronchitis, so I'm not functioning at peak mental efficiency either. But I
believe there are valid points to having some kind of ratings system, to
help developers identify weak areas or specific areas of interest.