Re: [RFC] Measuring skills of a Debian Developer

>>"Peter" == Peter Makholm <peter@makholm.net> writes:

 Peter> While it could be nice to see some skills of some of the
 Peter> debaters on the different lists I don't think it's wise (or in
 Peter> the spirit of Debian) to build up a large beureaucracy to do
 Peter> it. I give other developers root-access to my machine (through
 Peter> packages) why shouldn't I accept their own ratings?

	I would instantly rate the proponents of this idea very low o
 the scale of logic and practicality, and on actually being in touch
 with the real world (though advogado has donea nive job of actually
 putting together a subjective rating system, it still assumes
 gentelmanly behaviour and co-operation).

	Apart of the sheer impracticality of getting any meaningful
 rating system short of a well put together exam, there is the
 question, what for? If you can't figure out the level of expertise of
 people based on the body of their work, then their skill level is
 unlikely to impact you in any meaningful fashion.

	Why not just ask developers for their mensa tested IQ? At
 least that is a trifle less subjective, and in this field an
 intelligence and an ability to learn count for more than what you can
 regurgitate on demand.

	Indeed, if the rationale is mere curiosity, why stop there?
 Ask for sexual orientatrion, religion, and skin color as well;
 perhaps party affiliations, and a picture (good looking people have
 charisma, right?). Oh, and for US developers, views on right to life
 are a must. Bah.

	manoj
 IQ=162, for those who care
--
 Cats are smarter than dogs.  You can't make eight cats pull a sled
 through the snow.