Re: Problem with nsswitch and new libc

Public Repost of a mail I accidentally sent to Ben personally. My
apologies to Ben.

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000 19:12:11 -0500, Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>
wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 05:15:02PM -0600, Sam TH wrote:
>> Recently, I upgraded my system (running woody) to the newest libc.  This caused static
>> compilation of AbiWord (of which I am a developer) to break.  I don't ever compile
>> things statically otherwise, so this is the only thing broken.  However, since the errors,
>> which look like so:
>>
>> /usr/lib/libc.a(nsswitch.o)(.data+0xd4): undefined reference to `_nss_files_sethostent'
>>
>> do not mention any AbiWord files, and they appeared immediately after the upgrade, I
>> suspect this is a libc issue.
>>
>> Has anyone else had this problem?  Is there a fix I should know about?  I was unable to
>> find anything in the archives.
>
>NSS is now compiled statically (i.e. seperate from libc.a), so if your
>program requires lookup calls (those that work with NSS), then you need to
>do this:
>
>gcc -o temp temp.c /usr/lib/libc.a -lnss_files -lnss_dns
>
>I might revert this, but then static compilations really aren't static
>anymore (your static app will still dlopen NSS modules, possibly from a
>different version of libc).

Let me jump in on this: Might bug #74897 come out of this box as well?
It deals with exim segfaulting on systems that have "old" libc6, and
"new" libdb2, including m68k systems and i386 potato systems where
exim and its Build-Depending libraries have been backported from
potato. That is clearly a nss related issue since changing
nsswitch.conf to "services: files" from "db files" fixes the
segfaults.

Greetings
Marc